The Pinhey’s Point Foundation was established in 1980 as a voluntary, non-profit organization dedicated to the heritage aspects of the historic site Horaceville at Pinhey’s Point on the Ottawa River near Dunrobin. The property, including the interior of the house, is subject to a preservation easement with the Ontario Heritage Trust.
Horaceville, established in 1820 and named after founder Hamnett Pinhey’s eldest son, remained in the Pinhey family until sold to March Township by the heirs of Miss Ruth Pinhey, who died in 1971. In 1980 the Pinhey’s Point Foundation was established, charged with preserving and developing the estate as a historic site and passive recreation area. The Foundation acquired the property in 1983 and conveyed it to
the City of Kanata in 1990. Kanata amalgamated into the City of Ottawa in 2001.
The City of Ottawa owns, manages, and maintains the site and is responsible for programming, but the collections remain in the ownership of the Pinhey’s Point Foundation. Through its volunteer members, the Foundation presents historical exhibits each summer, organizes additional events, publishes a twice-yearly newsletter, the Horaceville Herald, assists in staffing the house for special events, and more generally interprets the history of the estate, the Pinhey family, and the former Township of March/City of Kanata. At the same time the Foundation’s board of directors acts in an advisory capacity with the City of Ottawa on the heritage aspects of the site.
Research / Archives
Hamnett Kirkes Pinhey
As a member you will have benefits not available to others as well as access to content not available publicly. More...
Charlie Pinhey and the 38th Ottawa Battalion: From Bermuda to the Somme
(LAC #e010765213, Topley #130554)
Colloquium Sept. 26-27
Origins of Domestic Gothic Architecture in Ottawa
Site designed and maintained by Vital Designs
Dunrobin (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada
2011 - 2012 All Rights Reserved Pinhey's Point Foundation